Gluten and Dairy Free Orange Almond Cake
2 large oranges
2 ½ cups ground almonds
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder (can use gluten free)
For Glaze: 1 orange, zest and juice
½ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 170c.
Grease and line a medium sized round cake tin.
· Place the two oranges in a saucepan of cold water, fully submerged, cover and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for 1 hour.
· Drain and allow to cool, then chop oranges with skins, removing any seeds.
· Process oranges into a puree.
· Beat eggs and sugar until pale and creamy then fold in orange puree, ground almonds and baking powder, combining well
· Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour. Allow cake to cool in tin for about 20 minutes then turn out and spoon over
glaze and decorate if desired.
To make glaze: Place the juice and zest of orange with the sugar into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally for approximately 3 minutes until syrupy.